Positive Behaviour for Learning
Positive Behaviours for Learning
Positive Behaviour for Learning, known as PBL is an evidence-based whole school systems approach that:
- addresses the diverse academic and social needs of every student to support them to be successful
- enables schools to establish a continuum of supports that are intensified to meet the needs of every student
- is team driven, using a problem solving approach (data, systems and practices) that engages students, parents and all school staff
- establishes positive social expectations for all in the school community
- provides a framework for the school and its community to collectively support the wellbeing of every student.
At CWSC, Positive Behaviours for Learning forms the foundation of our values program. Students and staff work together to determine the values of the school and the behaviours which demonstrate this are explicitly taught in every classroom. Through this approach, all members of the CWSC community share a common language and understanding.
Our PBL is guided by our GROW acronym. Expectations for behaviour in all settings will be based on these 4 values.
Social and Emotional Learning (SEL)
Social and emotional learning is the process of developing and practising important social and emotional understandings and skills.
- Self-awareness skills help us to recognise and understand our feelings and value our strengths and abilities.
- Self-management skills enable us to handle and direct our emotions in appropriate ways.
- Social awareness skills help us to be aware and respectful of the feelings and perspectives of others.
- Relationship skills aid us in dealing positively with relationship problems and other social conflicts.
- Social decision-making skills allow us to consider the consequences of our actions for ourselves and others and make thoughtful, effective decisions.
KidsMatter Primary is a flexible, whole-school approach to improving children’s mental health and wellbeing for primary schools. It can be tailored to schools' local needs.
Through KidsMatter Primary, schools undertake a two-to three-year cyclical process in which they plan and take action to be a positive community; one that is founded on respectful relationships and a sense of belonging and inclusion, and that promotes:
- social and emotional learning (including evidence-based social and emotional learning programs)
- working authentically with parents, carers and families
- support for students who may be experiencing mental health difficulties.
At CWSC, this program will be tailored to support the development of a new school community and establish strong and positive connections between the school, students and their families, and the wider community in Molonglo.
The video below gives a quick introduction to PBL.